Instagram have officially launched their newest video tool – Instagram Reels.
The opportunity to try and test them was already realised in November for Brazil, then after a few months, they expanded this feature for Germany, France and India. Now it’s officially available for everyone!
But what is Instagram Reels?
Reels are short-form 15 seconds video with their own array of audio and visual effects as well as other new creative editing options.
You can share Reels with your followers on your Feed or through the Explore tab which has a new space for Reels.
If this feels reminiscent of TikTok, it’s no coincidence that Instagram have realised such similar feature on their platform since Tik Tok has become so hugely popular!
How to create Instagram Reels
At the bottom of the Instagram camera, you’ll have an option on the right to pick Reels as a form of your creative video tool. Then you’ll also see a variety of creative editing tools on the left side of your screen, such as:
- Audio: You can add a song from the Instagram library as you would do in a normal Story. hat’s new is you can just use your original audio which will be attributed to you and other people would be able to create Reels with it, if your account is public.
- AR Effects: You can play with different creative AR effects created by Instagram and other creators on the platform.
- Timer and Countdown: There is an option to create hands-free; as soon as you press record it will countdown before recording begins for the specific amount of time that you picked.
- Align: Helps you to create seamless transitions from one clip to the other.
- Speed: You can choose the speed of your video – easily creating slow-motion or sped up clips.
You can record your reels all at once or one at a time or also by using videos from your gallery. The progress will be shown at the top of the screen as you record and as soon as you stop recording it will be saved as a separate clip.
Where to find and share Reels?
With a public account, you can easily share them in a dedicated space in the Explore tab where a wider audience can see them but if your account is private it will only be shared with your followers and others won’t be able to use your original audio from the Reel.
Sharing your Reel as a Story will behave the same way as a regular Story and it will disappear after 24 hours.
You are able to like, comment on or share reels from Explore with your friends.
Have you tried creating an Instagram Reel already?
Let us know! It’s definitely a great tool to express yourself in a creative way and reach more potential followers. We can’t wait to see how businesses are going to use it to engage their audience.